What Does It Take to Become a Cosmetologist?
Are you the first one of your friends to try a new hairstyle or lipstick shade? Are you always doing someone’s hair color in your head? Do strangers tell you they love your hair, nails, or make-up? Then it’s time to consider cosmetology school!
The good news is that just about anyone can get into a cosmetology school.
Here’s the scoop on cosmetology school requirements what you need to do to get into cosmetology school, and the classes you’ll need to take to become a salon ready Redken cosmetologist:
- A high school diploma or G.E.D: Cosmetology schools require a basic education to get in and you must have either a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Age requirements: Cosmetology schools admit people of all ages and backgrounds. However, the state of Illinois requires our students to be 18 years of age. It’s the diploma’s or G.E.D.’s that future stylists need to have in order to get into cosmetology.
- Basic English skills: All kinds of people enroll in classes, but courses at TSPA are taught in English. The ability to follow along in basic English will help you do well.
- Pass basic classes: To get your certificate or degree, you’ll take fun courses on hair cutting and styling, skin care, make-up application, and more.
- A passion for the job: If you love to style your friends and help others discover their own beauty, you’ll love your cosmetology courses!
With cosmetology programs available near you and online, you can get started on your new career today! Contact admissions. Get started now, book a live or virtual tour. Don’t Forget To Ask About The $15,000 Beauty Changes Lives Scholarships That Can Help You Graduate Debt Free!
Beyond the Salon: The Wide World of Beauty Careers
If you want to have as much fun as Queen Latifah in Beauty Shop, then a job in a salon is a great option. But did you know that there are countless opportunities in many fields for those with in-demand cosmetology skills?
What can you do with a cosmetology career?
- Entertain: We love J.Lo, but let’s face it: J.Lo would not be J.Lo without her team helping her maintain her look! Skilled cosmetologists are in demand across the entertainment industry.
- Teach: Share your passion for hair and beauty by becoming a beauty school educator!
- Travel: Take your skills on the road in your own mobile hair salon or as a stylist on a cruise ship!
- Sell: Work for leading companies like Revlon, L’Oréal, and Redken after you learn the business in cosmetology school!
- Write: Write blogs and articles on new products, tools, and techniques for major beauty companies.
- Heal: Help people with chronic illness by becoming a beauty consultant to hospitals and treatment centers.
- Style: Work behind the scenes in the exciting worlds of fashion shows, photo shoots, and television shows!
A cosmetology education can open doors in multiple industries, so what are you waiting for? Start today!
Book your virtual tour : 815-609-6880
More information to come shortly
On September 27th, Trim Hunger hopes to break the Guinness Book of World Records’ existing record for the most people cutting hair at the same time when over 20 Trim Hunger Cut-A-Thons will be held simultaneously at The Salon Professional Academies (TSPAs) across the nation. Additionally, a wide variety of events and fund-raisers will take place at individual participating TSPA franchise locations. To learn more about Trim Hunger, visit www.TrimHunger.com
In recognition of Hunger Awareness Month, Redken 5th Avenue NYC in collaboration with The Salon Professional Academy, will host the Trim Hunger™ Cut-A-Thon at the Redken Exchange in NYC on Thursday, September 10th from 10am– 3:30 pm to benefit City Harvest, a food rescue organization dedicated to helping feed the nearly 1.4 million New Yorkers facing hunger.
Top Redken stylists will be giving haircuts, blowouts and braids for a minimum donation of $25. Much like the way color specific ribbons are worn in support of causes, painting your thumbnail has taken on the same social identity. Essie, also a sponsor of the event, will be offering “orange thumbie” manicures in their Trim Hunger “Roarrrrange” shade as a symbol of support in the fight against hunger.
Trim Hunger is the most recent non-profit endeavor of Redken stylist Josif Wittnik, owner of Salon CTI and Day Spa and The Salon Professional Academy in Appleton, WI. Following a local project to help feed families in need in his community, Josif developed Trim Hunger to raise awareness for the cause and feed the hungry on a national level.
“It costs City Harvest just 25 cents to rescue and deliver one pound of food in New York City, and with more than 2.6 million New Yorkers struggling to afford food for themselves and their families, a little bit goes a long way,” says Leslie Marino, General Manager, Redken US. “Redken’s Trim Hunger Cut-A-Thon will bring together both stylists and members of the community to help make an immediate impact on the fight against hunger in New York City.”